Mid-Century Modern brought up to the 21st century
New Hope, MN
2017 Fall Remodelers Showcase
Award-2017 City of New Hope Total Home Renovation
Jolynn Johnson, owner of CK+B, gained 2 hours to her day by moving 3 blocks from the showroom. A 1961 rambler was gutted and remodeled to accommodate a simpler lifestyle and 55 plus living. Every room changed location as she designed this home to fit her needs now and in the future.
Objectives: Functional work triangle, 42” height snack bar for 4, Tall storage, Contemporary styling, Tall clients = tall work surfaces
Design challenges and solutions:
- A step-down family room was converted to the kitchen by raising the floor and moving/adding all mechanicals.
- The Room was narrow and long, the only workable shape was a galley kitchen where all the appliances were on one wall. Being tall I wanted 38” height black granite counter top, to accomplish the additional 2” of height a 3.5” mitered edge was added
- The Island/snack bar had shallow cabinets on the kitchen side and a 12” over hang on the backside for 4 chairs. The whole island is 42” height, comfortable for working and sitting. Ash Wood (stained to match the walnut cabinets) counter top with live edge
- Tall pantry cabinets for china, small appliances, food and brooms/vacuums storage, 12 feet in length and 15 inches deep
- A large window looked out onto the neighbor’s back yard, it was removed and replaced with a 112” x 18”awning window in the backsplash. While giving up the unneeded view, it retained the natural light and added upper cabinetry.
- The garage door/entry, landed right into kitchen, A bench and hooks were added for coats and purses
- Contemporary style with walnut wood and gloss-lacquer cabinets
- Brown marble tile backsplash to blend with the tile elsewhere in the home
- Unique custom storage: tip up cabinet doors, pull out with containers for knives and utensils, Servo-drive double waste basket
- Hands-free faucet, bling pendant lights